Friday 21 June 2013

MCSA: Security on Windows Server 2003 without passing any further exams

Another surprise certification this morning.

In 2004 I passed CompTIA's Security+ and linked it to my Microsoft transcript. This, combined with some other exams, completed MCSE: Security on Windows 2000. Later on in 2004 I passed the (isc)² CISSP, but I have never linked it to my transcript. Until yesterday

To link an external certification to your Microsoft transcript you need to use the Live Chat button available from within the MCP member site support page. I asked for them to apply my CISSP to my transcript, supplied my (isc)² member number and the transcript was updated a few minutes later.

Disappointingly, the transcript only showed the CISSP qualification and no further certifications were applied.

24 hours later, and a new certification was applied. Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with the transcript tool today, but the Certification Builder tool clearly shows I've been awarded the MCSA: Security on Windows Server 2003.



This also makes me only 1 exam away from MCSE:Security on Windows Server 2003 according to the Certification Builder.



Expanding the Security Group section you can see that the CISSP and Security+ are in separate sections, thus negating the need to sit an exam like 70-299 or 70-351.



So, if you have an MCSE or MCSA on Windows Server 2003 and some security certs, you might be able to get MCSA: Security just by spending a few minutes on Live Chat linking them to your transcript.

Annoyingly I'm already booked to sit 70-299 Implementing and Administering Security in a Windows Server 2003 Network this afternoon. It's too late to cancel!

No comments: